I meant to be done with the do-overs by now, but I keep falling asleep around 10:00 PM lately. Thus, no sewing time. Not a big deal, though. I got three more done on Friday, which leaves me with four more blocks. I’m hoping I can crank those out this afternoon.
I was actually very happy with the first iteration of Weathervane. Unfortunately, when I ironed this block, the white print picked up some black residue, delineating the seams. So, into the re-do pile it went. Very happy with the second version. I decided to use some AMH, paired with a couple of Joann’s fabrics. At this point, I’m not going to use white in any of the remaining blocks – I have enough ‘white and bright’ blocks for the rest of the top.
This is another block with which I was very happy. Unfortunately, I failed to print the paper piecing templates out at the correct size, meaning I forgot to turn scaling for paper size off. Regardless, I’m actually much happier with the new block. The colors are richer and the grey balances them well.
Separately, I love all three prints that I used in the first version of Wood Lily. Too bad for me that the scale and shading of the purple print is far to close to that of the black background print, and it disappears a bit. Enter another do-over, lol. I’d somehow forgotten that I had that black print in my stash – I think because it wasn’t stored with the bulk of my stash. It was in a pile of washed fabrics that I’d never gotten around to ironing and folding once they were out of the dryer.
I cannot truly express how excited I am to be so close to being done with the Farmer’s Wife Sampler blocks! According to Flickr, I posted my first blocks on June 20, 2011. It’s been approximately 21 months in the making so far, though there was a six month or so hiatus from the project because I am occasionally really, really stupid, and ‘lost’ eleven blocks when I really hadn’t.
I’m so very ready to move on, and am eagerly awaiting fabric to finish the settings. After that, I can begin the adventure of quilting the thing. I’m sure I’ll be ready to hang myself for being silly enough to want to do the quilting myself, but ah, well.
Part of the reason that I’m so ready to move on, is that I’m ready to start another sampler:
That’s right! It’s the Dear Jane Sampler. And, yes, I know I’m completely insane. I bought the fabrics a couple of years ago, and finally picked up the the Electric Quilt Company software, so I’m ready to go! I have a feeling I’ll end up re-drafting a couple of blocks, as I noticed that the software’s drafting seemed counter-intuitive to easier piecing or simplified applique.
No matter though! I’m excited to get too work on Jane, and will be starting this weekend, if all goes well.