I’ve been a touch frustrated with my sewing area for a while. I moved my setup to the living/dining room area a while ago, when we moved kiddo from a crib in our room to his own room. Giving kiddo his own room meant that I gave up my sewing room. No big deal, really.
An eight foot square area is big enough to work in, right?
I started giving myself as ideal a workspace as I could, by ordering the Gidget II Sewing and Craft Table. I chose this model because of the larger cutout. If I choose to use my Janome 1600P for free motion quilting, I won’t have to replace the entire table. I’ll just need to get another inset ordered.
This went a long way to resolving discomfort I would experience when sewing for longer periods. Unfortunately, I was still using a dining chair, and the table doesn’t afford a lot of work space for trimming and ironing.
Mid-last week, after having yet another stressful day at work, I decided to resolve the last of my sewing issues, and ordered a rolling stool, and a five foot folding table. I chose a stool because I sit very upright anyway, and don’t lean back against a chair back, as well as not needing arms. Also, I can tuck a stool completely underneath my sewing table to minimize the space used by my sewing area.
The folding table will give me my extra workspace, as well as supporting any quilt sandwiches I happen to be working on. Since it’s a folding table, I can take it down and put it up based on need, or allocate it to being a buffet table during the holidays.
So, of course, once I got the new furniture, I had to clean and reorganize. It’s finally a fully functional sewing space for myself, where I’m actually comfortable and have everything near to hand. One day, I’ll have my own space, but for now, this works. I still share storage with my husband’s boardgames, but at least everything has a home.
I also managed to get a bit of sewing done this weekend, finishing up a sixth Swoon block:
I love the way this particular block came together so easily. Of course, having the table in place made so much of a difference. I could actually lay out the entire block, and leave it, instead of having to pick up everything at the end of the night.
I also got Sunsets and White Beaches sandwiched and pin-basted, and took apart the quilt sandwich for Charmed, I’m Sure. I had to do the latter because when I originally pin-basted it, I didn’t properly stretch the backing, so there would have been huge folds in it once I quilted it. On top of that, I need another five inches of width to the backing.
If I’m very diligent, I might actually have two quilts done before the end of September.